Sunday, September 13, 2009

Makenzie Atherton Lovely House

After reading "The Lovely House" I felt the strong need to read it over again. It is true that it is a very slow read and it is hard to grasp the idea or moral of the story because it just runs at a constant slow pace. This is a very hard story to analyze closely because of that pace, however, I do feel I found two paragraphs that I can describe.

The first is the description of the tiled Margaret. I do not know if it is just me, but I do not fully know the reason why that was even in the story. The only part of the story it meant something was when it was missing a tile because the house is aging. I Did not get the reason for the Older Margaret either or the significance of the tile words with Margaret. Unless she is was it going to be in the future.

I do believe that the clues that the author gives us about Paul being a ghost are quite obvious. The daughter is constantly saying why is Margaret always going off by her self. And the Older Margaret seems to want him to leave as soon as possible. Also the captain states that he does not want to leave Margaret alone at the ball, when she thinks she is with Paul.

3 comments:

  1. I think the reason the Maragret tile was there was to foreshadow? I'm just taking a guess I was confused by that part as well. Older Maragaret was probably there for some kind of symbolic thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The connection between the old/young Margaret was actually clearer to me than the Paul-ghost aspect of the story. The tile room was definitely one of the most suspicious rooms in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Older Margret was definately there as a symbol because the story described margret as,"a tall lady wearing pale green and pale blue". Then the next paragraph stated, "Margaret looks around the room that they are standing in and the room is described as "a pale green and a pale blue long room with tall windows". since the descriptions of the room and woman are the same this in some way is saying the woman is one with the house.

    ReplyDelete