Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Subsoil.

In the story subsoil has no point of view from any of the characters involved. This is a different technique then most of the stories we have already read. The story was told by what seems to me to be a person that is just watching and is not part of this bazaar potato story,just like us,the reader. Instead I feel like I was just reading a story that was as if I was watching it on TV or in a movie. I was only able to know what the writer told me about and I was in much suspense. The readers do not know what any characters thoughts were through out. I suppose this does keep the ending more of a surprise and more or less, less predictable because we can't see into the characters way of thinking. The potato's seem to really bother Nyle, though we really do not understand why or what he is thinking. However, I think I would be pretty bothered after I just saw an old gross potato in a mr. potato head box. You think someone would have done something with it or even the smell would have came into the picture. Even after dinner the people who owned the house showed Nyle the cabinet filled with potato's. This seemed very strange to me because why on earth would two people need so many potato's, they do not last very long and from what it seems, its not a very busy bed and breakfast.
Needless to say, I really didn't see this ending coming the way it did. The potato sprouts attacking a guest in the middle of the night is a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment